- variety of walking routes to choose from – about 7 miles for Stanmer and Ditchling circular walk
- easy access route of 5 miles suitable for more robust buggies and wheelchairs
- some steep climbs on some of the walks
- pub, tea room and toilets in Stanmer village. Pub at Falmer. Ice cream van usually at Ditchling Beacon.
- accessible by bus and train
Part of Brighton and Hove Council’s excellent ‘Downs on Your Doorstep’ series of leaflets, this leaflet details walking options starting from Stanmer Park (or Falmer Train Station), including a more substantial walk up to Ditchling Beacon, the highest point in East Sussex. Stanmer is a beautiful downland park containing the grade I listed Stanmer House (now partly a pub), the flintstone Stanmer Church and a quiet village street with a good value tea shop.
A profusion of bluebells can be seen on the higher reaches of Stanmer Great Wood during the spring, and you may see poppies in June and July.